Monday 1 September 2014

Who needs the gym?

We are certainly well and truly into farm-mode now!


Although it is officially spring, it's still been pretty cold at night here. Which means keeping the fire lit. Which means firewood. LOTS of firewood. We seem to burn it faster than we can collect it, chop it, stack it, and bring it in. It's a constant chore: The fire is hungry and constantly must be fed. Hubby just bought his first log splitter and tomahawk, and BOY have they been getting a work out! And so has he: Working out 'Lumber Jack-style'!

 
Since we just moved in, we've had no time to stockpile any firewood. And the former tenants didn't leave any. There's plenty about in the paddocks, but it all requires collecting, chopping, stacking, and drying. So: Job for next winter! STOCKPILE WOOD. 
 

I, too, am developing big callouses from shovelling clay aside in the garden, and carrying firewood to and fro. And splinters. Lots of splinters. Under my nails.


Note to self: Acquire some work gloves.

The other reason gloves maaaayyyy also be a good idea is that I am constantly wheezing and sneezing, and my arms are coming out in constant hives from carrying armloads of hay around the farm to the horses.

Yep: I'm allergic.

(Nope: I'm not joking.)

So has the novelty worn off yet?


...what do you think? ;)


 
I hope you're keeping warm through these first days of spring, and that the blossoms are starting to come out at your place! I'll be planting my first Hill Shadow harvest soon! So much to choose from!
 
What should I plant?
Have you planted yours?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are being very productive there.
    A few old long sleeve cotton shirts from the op shop might be just the thing to protect your poor long suffering arms, mens shirts tend to be the best choice, as they are a bit roomier , easy to work in and cover your other clothes from getting worn out and really filthy or snagged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what I did? I cut the toes outta some of Ben's old socks and put my arms through them to carry the hay around! XD Looked silly, but worked a treat!

      Delete