Sunday 7 September 2014

Father's Day, Farmers Markets, and Baking Fails.


I've grabbed a quick 10 min with a cup of coffee to post this! Tara's napping, and I've still gotta wash up and get firewood, and bring in the bins and put the washing out, and empty the compost and go for a run, and... and...
 
...hmm.
 
A farm girl's work is never done!
 
 
So there'll be no curling up in my favourite sunny reading spot for me today. Well, yet.
 
But Lenin and the girls love our sunny front door step. So much so, that they are reluctant to move, and I often have to swipe them aside/kick them outta the way/trip over them coming out the front door! Originally, he was named 'Lenin' after 'The Good Life' tv series' rooster. But that rooster was named after a tyrannical dictator. And there's just nothing tyrannical about our Lenin. He is the most laid-back, peaceful, lovely bird I've ever met! So, I think maybe 'Lennon' is a more appropriate name for him, no? And he does like beetles... ;)
 
 
Hay.
 
It's been all about hay, here. We agist several horses - including Will my older ex-galloper gentleman - but in bushy, scrubby paddocks. So feed has to be brought in most of the time for our four-legged clients. Unfortunately it does this to my arms unless I cover them up while lugging it round.
 
 
 
And I sneeze, and I itch and I wheeze.... Luckily Katie doesn't because I quite often find her like this in our hayshed.
 



 

The weekend hay delivery, aka Kate's Stage Coach.
 

AND I made my first Hill Shadow Lemon Meringue Pie on Sunday, for father's day afternoon tea (We love you Ben/Daddy!)

The curd was TO DIE FOR! (that'll be those Hill Shadow Farm lemons and fresh Hill Shadow free range eggs! ;) Of course!)

 
But unfortunately even though it came together beautifully and tasted heavenly, something funny happened to the egg whites and I ended up with quite a bit of liquid white after I baked it and put it in the fridge. Perhaps I shouldn't have put it in the fridge?!
 
And finally here's a pic of Tara at the Lilydale Farmers Market - she loved those ducklings! We came home with some yummy local pink lady apples, and some seedlings: Spearmint, Chamomile, Parsley, Coriander and Basil. We've planted those into a space in our new garden beds - next are the veggies! Katie bought a lemon soap and an orange ice block with her pocket money. Who knows? Next time we may be there as stallholders?


 
How did you enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend?
Ever had a baking disaster?
What do you love at your farmers market?
 
Ooh?! Is that the baby...?
Go and get outside!
xx




2 comments:

  1. OOOHHH that lemon merangue pie looks so delicious, when I was growing up we had chooks , so when Mum made this she would make 2 ...1 was half each for Dad and the eldest brother NOT FAIR and the second was for the rest of us, Mum, me and 2 younger boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I may have eaten more than what was strictly my fair share... *hic*

      Delete