Sunday 25 January 2015

Basil, baldness, bargains, and being 'busy'.




It's a snippets post! Ispired by one of Kate's.

harvesting

Basil! Omigosh the basil! Im gonna have to start giving more pesto away! And we harvested all of our corn. It was really successful, so I dried an ear as an experiment, and planted a few dry corn kernals in our foam seed boxes, and blow me down: They germinated! So looks we're gonna get another round of that yummy corn! YIPPEE! Self-sufficiency!

'Hoppy' - so photogenic!
reading

The House of Elliot by Jean Marsh. Did you ever see the TV series set in the 20s/30s? It was delicious. The book is just as delicious!

loving



My new slow juicer! I got it on Gumtree for $20 - BARGAIN! Totally worth driving across Melbourne and getting lost for! It's the kind that makes pasta, and sorbet too. The sorbet is AWESOME.
Mango Sorbet. Ingredients: ...mangoes.
It gets a bit less juice per amount of fruit than my old hurom juicer, but it does wheatgrass, sugarcane, frozen fruit, AND it's so much easier to clean! BIG BONUS!

knitting

I'm about to start a beanie for Ben's poor unprotected scalp!



His hair finally started to fall out from the chemo, and it was kinda 'sting-y', so he took the plunge and shaved it all off. And knock me down: IT ACTUALLY SUITS HIM!!! He looks about 10 years younger!




What a revalation!!!

planting

Wheatgrass for juice, but I've had some very mixed results. I put it on a windowsill. In the dark. In the light. In the full sun. In dirt. On paper towels. In peat. Lots of water. Just a mist. Covered with wet newspaper. Uncovered. But despite all my experimenting, I never manage to get the thick lush carpet of grass you see online. I just get a really sickly, wispy few tendrils in a whole tray, which equate to less than a shot of juice. But still I keep trying... It's meant to be so easy to grow!?

buying

FRUIT! Tonnes of it! I've been trying to inject as much raw fresh food into our diet as we can to keep as all as healthy as possible while Ben's body deals with chemo. And there's SO MUCH beautiful summer fruit around! The mangoes! The watermelon! And OH the lychees!!!

sticking

- washing in the machine, dishes in the sink, pellets in the chook feeder, toys in the cupboard, the kids' clean clothes in their wardrobes... It never ends; the 'business'. I wish I was better at being still. I remember being present when I was young. Relishing moments, living in the now, fully enjoying and appreciating an experience. Somewhere along the line, I lost that. Im always 3-steps ahead: Planning, listing, predicting, anticipating, worrying... I dont REALLY enjoy things like I did as a child, because I'm always somewhere else. Or watching the clock. Or counting my bank balance. Or anticipating disaster.I wonder how I can reclaim that child-like sense of now: Where afternoons lasted forever, and days were full of suprises?



watching

The new series of Broadchurch. I was addicted to series one. I'm already addicted to season two. We always have to watch 'just one more episode', no matter how late it is!

relishing

Moments of 'unplugged' childhood play. Games with marbles, craft with wool and paint, picnics with toys, making up dance performances, conversations with fairies, games with princess and crowns and magic powers.







listening

To the sounds of Hill Shadow Farm: Horses whinneying, kookaburras laughing, Lennon crowing, Tara talking herself to sleep in her cot, the fridge turning on and off briefly....








We're in for a big week this week. 4 FULL days of chemo, and poor old Ben is gonna get hammered. I've booked the girls into kindy for 2 days each, to minimise the noise/work for us at home so Ben can rest, but also to make sure they're occupied and distracted while Daddy's not well.

My mother and father in law will be here for a week, and I think it'll be 'survival mode' for all. But in the meantime: Australia Day public holiday tomorrow to be enjoyed, and our 6th Wedding anniversary (Love you forever, Bear xxx).

One day at a time... one day at a time...

What are you harvesting, reading, loving, knitting, planting, buying, sticking, watching, relishing and listening to?

See you on the other side of the week!
xx

5 comments:

  1. Poor Ben,I know he will need head warming before long in your mountain place, but while it is warm it may be a good idea to knit a hat with cotton or bamboo, the finer the yarn the better for coolness and softness if his skin gets sensitive from all the chemo.
    Sometimes when you have to sit still for all the lines of chemo to go in the feet get cold, wearing socks might help.
    Another day past is another day less to till he is getting better.
    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some cotton there - that's not a bad idea...! x

      Delete
  2. Love that all my Basil is thriving, you can freeze your pesto, good way to save it for later when the Basil is not doing so well.
    I have been taking cuttings and planting out the little plants as the older ones go to seed and look crook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been potting little basils for friends! It's growing like a weed! Plus we found a patch of feral mint in our gully, so I've been taking cuttings of that and putting it in pots around the house. Have to take advantage of these times of abundance! :)

      Delete
  3. Now if I can just get the parsley to self seed, I will be set, the possums seem to eat it as fast as it grows, so I need a few more plants to end up with enough for me to use.

    ReplyDelete