Thursday 2 October 2014

Brownies, baking, and balloon-legs.

Poor old Will has a fat leg! Im not sure how, but he's cut it somewhere in his paddock, and its puffed up like a balloon! I've hosed it out & sprayed the wound with tea tree, and added some garlic and tumeric to his feed for anti-inflamatory effects, and we'll see how he goes. Other than that, he'll be resting.

Which you know he hates.

OHH THE HUMANITY!!!
Today Katie and I cooked up a batch of brownies while Tara had her morning nap. These were using coconut flour, and let me just state from the outset that I haven't had alot of success with coconut flour recipes. And by that I mean, no success. everything Ive cooked has turned out rubbery, tasteless, or dry.

But at last! SUCCESS!!! These brownies are BEAUTIFUL! AND refined sugar and grain-free, which is a bonus! Even the kids wanted seconds!


So of course I will share the recipe! I got it from Pinterest, but I gather the original is from www.naturalnews.com .

PALEO BROWNIES (No refined sugar, dairy, grain)

1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 c cacao powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

Combine these dry ingredients in one bowl.

1/2 c honey (Raw if you have it. Pretty sure you could use maple syrup too)
1/3 c coconut oil
5 free range eggs
2 T water

Combine these wet ingredients in another bowl.

Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring well. pour mix into a well-greased 8x8 brownie pan and smooth top. The original recipe says 'bake at 350 deg F for 30 minutes' which I think is about 170 deg C, BUT my oven is hot and fan-forced, so i only baked for 27min at 150 deg C. You know your oven: Just keep an eye on them. If the top is 'dry' and it is 'springy' in the middle, I reckon you're done.
Let cool before slicing.

Om nom nom.


Got any other proven yummy coconut flour recipes you can share?

Now excuse me, Katie and I have some important bowl-licking to do...
xx

  



 

2 comments:

  1. Hope Will is on the mend and thanks for the recipe, I will give it a try, it looks delicious.Allways on the lookout for things that are not high in sugar and wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And a guilt-free chocolate hit - WOOHOO! Will's leg is looking great today! The swelling is right down, so I may be able to take him out for a gentle ride on the weekend :)

      Delete